OK so I had an issue that Microsoft released an update for Windows XP that I needed to install but they didn’t do an MSI so I couldn’t deploy is using GPO which was a real pain.
Instead I created a script that would check the OS Version and see if the update was already installed.
- First we hide the script from users:1@ECHO Off
- Then we check they are running the correct OS (for windows 7 “Version 6.1”)12ver | find "Windows XP" >NULif errorlevel 1 goto end
- Check to see if the update is installed (chance the reg location depending on the install)123reg QUERY "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows XP\SP20\KB943729" >NUL 2>NULif errorlevel 1 goto install_updategoto end
- Then if it is the correct OS and the update isn’t installed run the exe12:install_update\\PUT_YOUR_SHARE_PATH_HERE\Windows-KB943729-x86-ENU.exe /passive /norestart
- End (this is added so that the script will stop if the criteria are not met before the update is installed stopping errors.1:end
- you can then add this to a group policy to allow it to be deployed